Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lethargy and Getting Older





A definition of lethargy:
  1. tiredness: a state of physical slowness and mental dullness resulting from tiredness, disease, or drugs.
  2. lack of energy: lack of energy, activity, or enthusiasm.As you can see from the above, lethargy includes the mental and the physical aspects of a person. As we age, and I don't necessarily mean becoming a 'senior' citizen here, most people tend to play it safe. We are a little less willingly to take risks and/or go for it. We grow attached to what is familiar and comfortable. The end result of this is often stagnation. For those who complain that their life is boring, they are the ones who have been overcome by lethargy.
Resist lethargy and truly live.  Readers to my former blog,  www.torunistolive.blogspot.com have read the following quote by Jack London before but it really needs to be repeated here in the hope that even one reader may be seeing this for the first time.




"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."



Live the Life you Love.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave. Very relevant as I try to endure this midwest Winter and the polar vortex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Your endurance will make you a stronger and better person, mentally as well as physically. Most seek a road of comfort and ease as Cerutty used to say.

    ReplyDelete