Friday, August 9, 2013

Two's Company

I don't know how much this topic is brought up in training circles these days but it is one I think about from time to time; it has to do with whether it is better to train alone or train with others. I am referring here to non-team sports like distance running, cycling, weight lifting, etc.
I know for years I have taken the 'lone wolf' approach to my distance training but recent events have caused me to change my way of thinking on this.
This past week I have been running with someone every day. Prior to this time I hadn't run with another person in 8 months. Here's one thing I have noticed, and it's a big thing to me; usually when I go out alone I am very conscious of every physical ache and complaint that often pops up in the first few or more minutes of a run. That hasn't happened this week.
Also, it seemed easier running the same distances that I always run, consequently,I ran further. They say a lot about your mind having an effect on your physical abilities and I can see why after this relatively simple experience I've had.
When running, my mind this week hasn't been focused on myself, it's been on interacting with someone else.
I wonder if I preferred the 'lone wolf' approach in recent years because it was pretty difficult finding someone to run with around where I lived?
Either way, there are times when you should go it alone when you are training. For me, if I want to do some serious thinking I'll take a nice easy long run away from cars and people. Then on the occasion that I want to test my mental and physical toughness, I'll do a time trial or pace run solo.
Overall, I'm  liking the training with a partner approach.
40 minutes easy today ---calisthenics and stretching after.
What have you got planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment