Friday, August 23, 2013

When You're Injured

We've all been through it, our training is going well, then we get injured. The initial denial of that injury soon gives way to a kind of depressed recognition of the reality, your injured.
In the 'old days,' ways to stay fit and alternative exercises were not as numerous or as available as they are today. A stationary cycle was about all I had because I didn't belong to a health club and couldn't swim very well. Since I was, and am a runner, I didn't want to lose any of my aerobic fitness.
Today, there are so many great devices and things you can use to maintain your fitness when you are injured.
What should your priorities be when you are injured? I don't know who wrote the 4 priorities you are about to read but I've put them in quotes to differentiate them from the comments I make after.
1. 'Maintain your cardio-pulmonary condition.'
 Naturally, #1 is so much more essential when you are involved in sports that require running, swimming or biking. As I indicated, thank God for the advancement of alternative exercises.
2.'Maintain strength, endurance and flexibility in your muscles.'
Resist the urge to say you'll 'get back into it' when you're better. What you do or don't do when you're injured is a great indicator of your level of commitment.
3.'Avoid weight gain.'
Eat less if you are less active. It sounds so severe and austere to recommend not eating as much as usual. People need to view eating and food with a different mindset but that's the subject for another post.
4.'Minimize attendant depression.'
Perhaps the hardest of the four. You love doing something and now you can't do it for an undetermined length of time. Who wouldn't be depressed?
I read once that when the great Japanese marathoner Seko was injured and couldn't run, he walked 20 miles a day. I found this story to be a big encouragement to me over the years when I've been injured. It is also good when you can read accounts of other athletes who have overcome physical trials and injuries.

Injuries are all part of the journey. You can let them beat you down and discourage you or you can make the most of the situation and come out a better person.

30 minutes easy---stretching after with calisthenics.
How was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment