Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Few More Thoughts on Alcohol

I know I posted a fairly long article on alcohol awhile back but what follows are some random thoughts on alcohol and being at the top of your game mentally and physically. I believe that some of the things I am about to say are feelings and views held by many.

Not drinking, or stopping drinking, for me, is a conscious decision. That means I make a daily decision not to drink. Many days that decision doesn't have to be made because I don't have a desire to drink and don't give it much thought.

Another thought--I don't think I ever knew anyone who had a six pack of beer in their frig and had a can from time to time. It's kind of like the potato chip commercial--it's tough to eat just one.

Yet another thought--two drinks and I'm buzzed, is that healthy?

One more thought--Too often I drank not for 'pleasure' but out of anger and frustration with my life situation. Decidedly unhealthy behavior.

I see a society that drinks and makes it the focal point of their leisure time. That was me at one time, and in retrospect, I don't believe that's a wise choice of anyone's time. With that said,I certainly don't condemn or think less of anyone who drinks.

Speaking as an athlete and a writer, I believe alcohol serves no useful purpose in anyone's life who wishes to be at the top of their game mentally and physically. It provides zero nutritional benefits,in reality, it depletes your body of essential B vitamins.

I am much more creative and productive when I don't drink. When I'm competing, I tell myself that I have an edge on others because I have disciplined my body, most other competitors drink while I don't.

Going against the grain of what others do is not easy, especially in the beginning but recognition that you are your own man(woman) and in control of yourself and your destiny can be a great feeling if you choose to recognize that fact.

Onward

30 minutes easy running--again--stretching after--a great day overall

How was your day?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you---I believe it's the way it is.
    Someday society may recognize the truth about alcohol but I'm not holding my breath. The same goes for marijuana which I have smoked copious amounts of in the past. Legalization of marijuana is pure insanity and a sign of the degradation of society and our culture. I speak as a long ago former advocate for legalization. One of the multitude of problems with legalization can be summed up with this question--do you feel comfortable driving 70 mph on Rt.95 knowing that there is any number of motorists driving around you who are under the influence of legal, potent, high quality marijuana?
    Take it from me, habitual pot smoking makes you fat,lazy and destroys creativity. But again, everyone has a free will and I respect everyone's right to do as they choose.I know a lot of truly decent, nice people who are regular marijuana users. Sometimes the hardest thing for people is to be physically free of intoxicating substances in a society that seems increasingly difficult to live in and to make sense of.

    ReplyDelete