Sunday, July 28, 2013

Do Something,Do Anything,But Do it Today

As an athletic coach for all kinds of athletes over the last several decades, I tend to be wary when people, who say they want to improve themselves physically, tell me certain things.
The big ones I've heard are--"after the holidays I'm going to really get into it(working out)."  "The kids are coming to visit, so after they leave I'm gonna start." "When I get back from vacation(cruise) that's when I'm going to hit it hard."  "When the good weather is here I'm really going to dedicate myself."  It doesn't take a degree in psychology to conclude that those statements reveal a reluctance to commit.
It sort of makes me think of something I read by an out of shape runner a long time ago---"it's not the running that's hard, it's the getting in shape that is." I know what he was talking about, there comes a point in your conditioning when you are in good enough shape that taking an easy run feels, well, easy. Getting to that point however you often feel like a lug, simply getting through your workout.
Here are some thoughts for those who are having trouble getting started. First off, many of you are feeling overwhelmed at the whole prospect of becoming fitter, you may feel you have let yourself go for so long that it's all just too much to even think about. Consider this---
People who have stopped bad habits tend to find that each day they don't engage in that kind of behavior adds to their confidence and resolve to continue. Say you have been struggling with your weight or you just want to become fitter but on a particular day you don't workout, for whatever reason. Instead of beating up on yourself for not doing so try this---deny yourself--instead of reaching for that piece of crap, junk food or polishing off a 6pk of Bud--tell yourself---"no, I didn't earn it and I need to do something to improve my physical well-being today and this is going to be it. Choose something, no matter how simple it may seem, that is a positive step in reaching your goal that day.
Let me take a moment to throw in this seemingly unrelated fact--what's one of the differences between humans and animals? Humans have the ability to control their impulses and urges. Although there are far too many people who act like animals, this in no means as to be you too. Control yourself---if you are not in control, you are out of control.
That's why I always encourage the daily reading of edifying literature, I am not talking about the cute two sentence feel good things you read on greeting cards. I'm talking about books with substance and guts.
As you start putting days together where you know you have done, even something little to improve yourself, it becomes a habit,it becomes part of your being,you gain confidence as well as a sense of accomplishment.
So what are you waiting for?
Had to take a short 20 minute run today even though I'm working--it was so nice out--stretching all during the day.
What have you got planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment