Monday, July 29, 2013

Establish a Personal Support Team

As we strive to be at the top of our game mentally and physically we must have access to resources that will help us. Now, if we had lots and lots of money we could hire personal trainers along with a variety of coaches, nutritionists, physicians, and all the types of personnel needed to "get there." Of course, we don't have those kind of resources but we still can, and need to, establish a support team. These are people who know more than we know in a particular area and we can seek out their advice when needed. I'll show you what I mean by describing some of the people who are on my support team. There is one thing you have to do though in assembling your team, you have to pick people you respect and believe in. That takes time and effort.
First off, all of us need good solid medical advice from time to time. I have an M.D. who takes a holistic approach to medicine and healing, that means he always looks at the cause of my complaints, he doesn't simply write a prescription and send me on my way. I'm sure you are all aware of this but too often meds treat the symptoms and not the cause of your maladies. When I have questions about things pertaining to medicine, healing, overall health and nutrition I obviously can't call my doctor every time so I utilize Dr. Andrew Weil at his website (www.drweil.com). I like Dr. Weil because he is a real physician who will seek alternative, more natural ways to treat your problems when appropriate. Also, he's very big on prevention and treating the cause.If  I have a question, I just go to his site and type it in his search engine. After 40+ years in the medical/psychiatric field I can tell you this,it's grim out there folks, a proverbial minefield of incompetence and a lack of true caring for the patient. On the flip side of the coin are the so-called "natural healers" who are mostly frauds with at best questionable credentials and an agenda being getting hold of your $$$$$$.
You have to strike a balance in that department and, to me, Dr. Weil strikes that balance. There are others out there.
Now, for medical/injury advice? I choose Dr. George Sheehan, a physician who was an accomplished runner and wrote for years in Runners World while publishing some really good books on running as well as others on the illnesses and injuries related to it.
As far as my  training--my go to guy is Arthur Lydiard--he developed the foundation on how to train as a runner, he developed the format that told us how to use his program as a guide to get  fit.
For a philosophy on living a vigorous, full athletic life I always read anything by Percy Cerutty. I wrote a lot about him in my previous blog---www.torunistolive.blogspot.com There are close to 400 articles on that site dating back to late 2010. If you are a runner and haven't seen it, I would strongly urge you to check it out, it is unlike any running site you will visit, and that's a good thing.
I could go on but I think everyone sees what I'm getting at here--it's all about organization and having the resources available to help you along the way so you can be at the  the top of your game mentally and physically. I see so many people go searching here, searching there, wasting time looking for answers to their concerns and questions, getting more confused.
Begin assembling your team today if you haven't already.
A lazy day--a 45 minutes walk barefoot through the park and stretching after.
What did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment